Spirit of the Andes Teacher Training
with Deborah Koehn and David Blehert
15-day Spiritual & Cultural Immersion
Yoga Teacher Training
Yoga Adventure Teacher training
200 and 300 hour credits immersion
Yoga Immersion Adventures for lovers of yoga, travel, nature, culture and service.
Receive 150-hours towards your Yoga Alliance 500-hour certification. Click here to apply.
Peru Yoga Adventure is open to:
- Yoga teachers/practitioners working towards their 500-hour certification.
- Individuals interested in obtaining their 200-hour Yoga Alliance approved certification.
- Individuals who would like to deepen their knowledge of yoga and expand upon their personal practice.
- Those interested in Yoga service projects in developing countries.
Regardless of where you are in your Yogic journey, we invite anyone who feels drawn towards this experience to join us and become a part of our global family!
The Yoga Adventure experience will include:
- Daily yoga teacher training and mentoring
- Hikes and visits to remote villages in the Andes
- Ceremony and rituals with our Q’ero Shaman family and friends
- Healthy, delicious Andean meals
- Teach “Yoga for the Village People” classes in each village we visit and apply therapeutic yoga practices to those in need
- Explore Andean Incan ruins and sacred sites in the Sacred Valley including Machu Picchu
- Visits with our artisan families and weavers
- Experience the story and wisdom woven into the fabric of the Peruvian clothing and art and life
- Stay in accommodations in beautiful locations with a blend comfort and remoteness in rural settings
- Experience camping under the Andean skies at a special location close to Machu Picchu
Accommodations & Trip Price:
Price of the trip is $4000 and includes accommodations, most meals, airport transfers and group transportation between Peruvian villages and sites. (*Price is subject to possible changes due to number of participants and updated costs.)
As we make our way through the Andes, we will stay at various locations; from sweet, eco-friendly hotels with beautiful fruit and vegetable gardens to simple camping on a private farm with wonderful indoor eating, bathing and yoga spaces. Accommodations are based on double occupancy.
All of our accommodations are a blend of comfort and remoteness in rural settings with an immediate feel of “home”. And, of course, each place will have spectacular mountain views and healthy, delicious meals.
History & Trip Details:
35 years ago, Deborah and her husband, David, trekked, climbed and skied the highest peaks in southern Peru while exploring remote areas of the Andes. During their expeditions, they were among the first to meet the Q’ero people and connect with their shamanic ritual, ceremony and teachings. Since that first encounter, they have returned every year- nurturing and building friendships and exchanging Andean wisdom for Yogic love and support.
This year, we invite you to join us and spread the power of Yoga while receiving the beauty and wisdom of the Andes and her indigenous people. This culture is rapidly changing. Now is the time to visit this beautiful land, learn the ancient ways of the people and give back to the community!
Through this experience, you will connect with the Maha Bhuta (the great elements) and with Pachamama (mother earth) for a deep exploration of the intimate connection between our bodies, the earth and the cosmos. This experience will open you to the infinite vision and possibilities that this life holds for each of us.
Our stay in Peru will revolve around yoga, education and village life. Daily morning and afternoon Teacher Training sessions will be held as well as teaching “Yoga for the Village People”. We will participate in village life, connect with the locals and join in ancient ceremonies and rituals. We will also strengthen our bodies though hiking and yoga and calm our minds in nature. And, of course, there will be time each day to explore on your own, visit the artisan markets, study and relax!
The teacher training/education portion of the trip will focus on the following topics: tattva, maha bhuta, the great elements, Vedic teachings, yoga therapy, sequencing of asana for age, cultural and environmental differences, physical and subtle anatomy, Bhakti Yoga, and Karma Yoga/Seva/Service. (See syllabus below)
Yoga teachers/practitioners with an existing 200-hour certification will receive 150 hours (100 contact and 50 non-contact hours) upon completion of the Peru Yoga Adventure that can be applied toward the 500-hour certification.
If you would like to work towards the 200-hour certification, please contact Deborah for information regarding integrating this Yoga Adventure into your certification program.
“Yoga for the Village People”
Deborah developed this grass root’s program over 20 years ago. This is one of her life’s passions and she is eager to share it with all who wish to spread the healing powers of yoga to those in need. Our group will lead yoga classes in all of the villages we visit. The classes will focus on therapeutic applications of yoga, partner work and safe adjustments. You will learn fun ways to modify postures and make them appropriate for different ages, cultures, genders and environmental differences.
This one-of-a-kind program allows us to give back to the Peruvian people and make a difference in the lives of the villages we visit. You are guaranteed to leave this experience changed forever!
For more details about “Yoga for the Village People” go here.
We will connect to pure simplicity of heart, through the teachings of our Quechuan family and Q'ero shaman friends. Our Peruvian brothers and sisters will share their powerful message of caring for Pachamama and for each other through their lessons of Ayni and Karma (reciprocity, interdependence and connectedness of all life). Participate in the prayerful ceremony of Despacho. The intention of this ceremony is to communicate and connect with the natural world and Spirit for global healing and personal health and transformation. Through ceremonies like Despacho and our own yoga practice, we can be more aware of our innate connectedness to nature and create space for healing. Nature is one of the most important teachers of our time!
Exploration and Trekking
We will explore Incan sites in Cuzco and the Sacred Valley and visit the ruins of Ollayantaytambo, Pisac and traditional weaving village of Chinchero high on the “Altiplano”. Trekking in the Andes brings us close to the lives of the people and to the rich and vibrant spirit of the Andes. Enjoy the sounds of the mayoc (river) rushing below and 6,000 meter glaciated peaks looming above. The Apus (gods of the mountains) will grace us with their presence as we sleep beneath the endless starry Andean sky.
There will also be time to explore Machu Picchu and immerse our selves in the ruins, stories, spirit and magic of this incredible and timeless place.
To learn more about this trip, ask questions or receive a daily trip itinerary, please email Deborah at Deborah@yogaadventure.com. Participants will be selected based on an application and personal interview process. This is an enriching journey of a lifetime and we hope you can join us!
The course syllabus meets the requirements of Yoga Alliance at the 500-hour level in the areas of teaching technique and methodology, anatomy and physiology, Yoga philosophy, ethics and living the life of a yogi, practicum and electives.
Please note: Yoga Alliance is now naming the 500-hour registration “300-hour”. This refers to the additional 300-hours of education/training, after completing a 200-hour certified teacher training
- Yoga Therapeutics for special populations, injuries and disease
- “Yoga for the Village People”: learn how to help others, share the benefits of yoga with village people in Peru
- Expanding voice as a Yoga teacher: integrating new skills into your teaching
- Creative sequencing of yoga for cultural, age and physiological differences. Being present with what is and using our skills to create safe and beneficial healing practices.
- Partner work: making it fun and accessible
- The Healing power of the breath: Pranayama in daily life
- The breath and Prana as the gateway to healing
- Meditation for everyone: simple techniques in meditation and presence
- Yoga Anatomy
- The Art of Seeing: anatomy of the Chakras, physical and subtle anatomy and the deepening of our teaching skills
- The Vayus
- The power of physical alignment
- Exploring the energy fields
- Muscles, bones, fascia, nerves, respiration, digestion, circulation, assimilation
- The magic of the body’s systems
- Yoga philosophy and living the Yogic lifestyle
- Seva and Karma Yoga (yoga of selfless service)
- Sadhana life as spiritual practice. In our travels to Peru and Bali, as well as our home in Hawaii, we are co-creating personal awareness, community awareness and global awareness each moment
- Bhakti Yoga (yoga of devotion)
- Ritual and ceremony linking us with nature, the cosmos and ourselves
- The practice of the Yamas and Niyamas made simple in daily life
- Santosha: contentment as a way of life
- Svadyaya: self study, adventure and exploration as a way of life
- Aparigraha: cultivating simplicity and non-attachment through adventure travel
- Ahimsa: spreading love, peace, and non-violence in the world
- Satya: cultivating the power of truth as a way of life
- The Kleshas and Samskaras: observing the patterns of the mind
- Lila (play of the divine)
- Jyana yoga of knowledge and wisdom
- Acceptance, creation and manifestation. Seeing through the eyes of the shaman
- Teachings of the Rishis
- Practical Ayurveda
- Living the life of a Yogi: fundamentals of “being the change you want to see.”
- Bringing Balance to Practice: teaching the benefits of personal practice
- Nature as teacher: transformation through the Maha Bhuta (the great elements)
the Andean Shamans,
and teaching the locals yoga.
- participant reflections -
"Whew! Home again. I hope you're as well as we are.
We LOVED our whole trip! Machu Picchu had been a lifelong dream of mine, a big one. Now my wish list seems much shorter! I'm so glad we went with you. It couldn't have been better.
I'm looking over my photos and thinking,
what a great trip. I realize you had a complicated set of
arrangements to work with -- all the people with their individual
needs, everyone's expectations, --- and you made it look
easy. Accommodations, schedule, pace, people, food, everything
was perfect. I want to go again. And my interest in yoga
has been rekindled, again thanks to you. Well, wherever
you are, just know that we appreciate what good care you
took of us. You gave us an unforgettable trip."
Gail and Phil
Peru, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu Yoga Adventure
"Harry and I are still thinking about the magnificent trip we took with you both. It was something I have wanted to do all my life. A really magical place. And the bonus was the group, you both, and all the other things that we did. Am saving all the wonderful weavings that we bought for Christmas, but the rug that we got in front of the church is on the bench in the hall of our house in North Carolina, and it looks wonderful."
Bonnie and Harry.
Peru, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu Yoga Adventure
|© 2015 Yoga Adventure All Rights Reserved|
970-309-3834 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org